Self Introduction

Dear Mr Brad Blackstone,

My name is Liao Jungui Isaac. I am currently undertaking a degree in telematics at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in media communication and technology. During my course of study, I learned computer programming and applied the skill to develop a mobile application (app) for the iOS (Apple) users for my final year project. Creating a mobile application sparked an interest for creation. I was able to create, design and produce a product that would help the society. With global current telematics solutions utilizing mobile applications, I took the opportunity given, to improve not only my computer programming skills but also in creating mobile application be it for traffic or games of my own.

My final year project was to work alongside with Pasir Ris Neighborhood Police Centre (PRNPC) by developing and designing a mobile application whereby citizens could use it to snap any culprit red handed. The application was made to allow the police have better information feedbacks to their headquarters. With an immediate request for help or report from the citizen. Policeman/woman can be deployed adequately.

Though it was a graded project, I saw it as an opportunity to create an application where Singaporeans could use it help crime rates drop. I was given plenty of space to do my ideation and propose my ideas to the police inspector. It was a platform where I could be creative and come out with an efficient and reliable solution. The time spent in building the application stretched my creativity and critical thinking as I had to make sure there no loopholes in my coding.

I believe my greatest strength is creativity. My diploma demanded us to create animations, short stories and mobile applications. I was never short of ideas and I had many ideas for wacky animations and silly mobile games, but I was limited by my lack of understanding how to translate my ideas into the final product. With my vibrant mind of mine, I tend to exaggerate on the little events of my daily life as I shared it with my peers.

Apart from class achievements, I was actively participating in Co-Curricular Activities (CCA). My first year of studies, I took up Waterpolo but eventually left and joined Tchoukball. I represented and participated in Polytechnic- Institute of Technical Education (POL-ITE) Games and won third place. Currently, I am a member of SIT's Tchoukball, and I look forward to training to further hone my skills in wishes to represent the school one day.

I would like to improve my writing and communication skills to present myself to the recipients better. I would love to pick up some frameworks that can assist framing my thoughts to deliver my message or view better. With better communication skills I hope I can deliver my message across sharply. Being equipped and able to apply these soft skills would boost my confidence and allow me to give off a good impression vibe which might put me in a better position over others who did not master these skills.

I look forward to a new me from a presentation perspective. 

Best Regards,

Liao Jungui Isaac
TLM1010 Grp3
1701604

Last Edited:
30 Sep 2017
3 Oct 2017

Commented(C):
Canny: (C)
Bing Quan: (C)
Xin Chun: (C)

Comments

  1. Dear Isaac

    The letter was well written.
    You might want to elaborate on your strength as well.

    All the best in your CCA!

    Regards
    Canny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Canny,

      Thank you for your comments.

      Best Regards,
      Isaac

      Delete
  2. Hi Issac,
    I am impressed by your achievements during your polytechnic days, namely in representing the school during the POL-ITE competitions!
    I know you to be a very conversant individual and I'm absolutely confident that under Brad's guidance you will be able to master the art of communication by framing your thoughts well before every interaction! :)
    Regards,
    JingYi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jingyi,

      I am flattered.
      Thank you for your comments.

      Best Regards,
      Isaac

      Delete
  3. Hi Issac,

    Your self-introduction is well balanced, not too short or too long. I'm amazed that you participated in a relatively large sport event and representing your school. I am very sure you will be able to upgrade yourself in regards to Tchoukball and I look forward to seeing you represent SIT in the near future!

    Regards,
    Bing Quan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bing Quan,

      I am flattered.
      Thank you for your compliments and comments.

      Best Regards,
      Isaac

      Delete
  4. Dear Isaac,

    Thanks for this finely detailed self intro. You paint a vivid portrait, focusing on your various interests and your experiences. You also share something about your communication strengths and weaknesses, and your goals. I'm impressed by your apparent passion for creativity though I do have a few questions: What was the focus of the app you developed? What inspired you to work on it?

    There are a few areas of this post that could be refined. For one, your prose could benefit by employing 'topic sentences at the start of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th paragraphs. (See http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-topic-sentences.html ) These would create more coherence as your ideas are presented.

    In addition, there are a few areas of mechanics and grammar to take note of:

    1) overuse of capitalization
    2) I had tons of ideas as to creating wacky animations, silly mobile games but was limited by the capability of producing my ideas into a product. >>> (phrasing) ?
    3) Creating a mobile application sparked an interest for creation. I would be able to create, design and produce a product that would help the society. >>> (verb tense usage/use of 'would')
    4) I had tons of ideas as to creating wacky animations, silly mobile games but was limited by the capability of producing my ideas into a product. >>> (phrasing--collocations/idiomatic speech) I had many ideas for creating wacky animations and silly mobile games, but I was limited by my lack of understanding how to translate my ideas into a product.
    5) Due to the creativity of mine, I tend to exaggerate on the little events of my daily life as I shared it to my peers. >>> (verb tense inconsistency)

    I look forward to seeing your creativity in action during our module.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your compliment and comments on how I can improve my prose.

      To answer the questions, you have pose to me;
      1) During my last year in Temasek Polytechnic. I helped Pasir Ris Neighborhood Police Centre (PRNPC) develop a mobile application whereby citizens could use it to snap any culprit red handed. The application was made to allow the police have better information feedbacks to their headquarters. Which could help activate their policeman/woman to catch the culprit more effectively.

      2) Though it was a graded project, it sparked an interest in me. I had the opportunity to create an application where Singaporeans could use it help crime rates drop. I was given plenty of space to do my ideation and propose my ideas to the police inspector. It was a platform where I could be creative and come out with an efficient and reliable solution.

      I would add this information and rectify my grammatical errors I had made into the blog post too.

      Cheers,

      Isaac Liao

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts